The Greene County Fair has been around since 1867. The original site was at the current Waynesburg University Football Field. The fair ran on and off until 1890 when there was no fair. In 1893, E.M. Sayers bought the fair at auction for $6,200.
In the early 1900’s, the Carmichaels fair was advertised as the “Greene County Fair”. In 1911, the fair changed hands once again and they were purchased by R.S. Sayers Farm. This is the current site of the fair.
The fair has continued to run since 1946 and is located in the same place. The Greene County Fair Board organizes the fair and they set the fair for the first full week of August every year.
They offer many competitions during the fair. They have the Fair Queen Contest, Livestock competitions, Home & Garden, and Hot Farm & Farm Stock Tractor Pulls. Other events at the fair include Chaos in Coal Country, carnival rides and fair food daily.
The Greene County Fairgrounds covers 40-acres, and has 12 buildings on the property. Buildings can be rented for other events. Visit www.co.greene.pa.us for a price sheet on the buildings.
The Flea Market is held every Tuesday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is free, but there is a $6 fee for vendors to set-up.
The Greene County Fair is held at the Fairgrounds in August every year. For more information on the fair visit www.greenecountyfair.org.
For fairground rentals, contact the Greene County Department of Parks & Recreation Director at 724-852-5323.
The first Jacktown Fair happened October 3-4 in 1866. The fair has a rich long history. Events have changed over the years at the fair, but the first fair included many competitions, like livestock, needlework, farm machinery and horse racing. Today’s fair still includes the different competitions, but has added others over the years like truck and tractor pulls, rides and motocross races.
Some historical firsts have happened at the Jacktown Fair. They were one of the first in the area to offer a night fair. Gas lamps were installed at the fairgrounds in the 1920’s. Then, in 1939 the gas lamps were replaced by electric ones. The fair also featured a wedding in 1932.
In 1946, the horse races ended at the Jacktown Fair. They were replaced by the popular horse pulls.
The fair celebrated their 100th year in 1965. Come see the rich 150 plus year history at the Jacktown Fair, because “You can’t die happy until you have been to the Jacktown fair.” For more information on the fair visit www.jacktownfair.org.