History & Heritage

Brief Summary: Dedicated to scanning, digitizing and saving regional and local historical items such as vintage school pictures, military documents and photographs, sports team photos and memorabilia, and everything in between for Carmichaels and Cumberland Township.
Description:

Carmichaels Area Historical Society has over 250 years of Carmichaels and Cumberland Township in their archives. They are preserving the past for present and future residents to see.

Some items include vintage school photos, military documents, sports team photos, and memorabilia from the area. All these items can be used to trace your family history.

They offer a full service genealogical research. From not knowing where to begin, to the person that is stuck finding something, Carmichaels Area Historical Society can help you. They use websites like Ancestry.com, Newspapers.com, and many other websites to help with your search.

Carmichaels Area Historical Society is bridging the past with the future by preserving the history of Carmichaels and the towns of Cumberland Township.

Directions:

Located in the Greene Academy of Art: From Carmichaels town square exit the traffic circle toward N. Market Street and the destination will be on your right in .2 miles. (Pass the Carmichaels post office)

Phone Number: 724-710-9248
Address: 314 North Market Street, Carmichaels, PA 15320
Mail: P.O. Box 349, Carmichaels, PA 15320
Brief Summary: The Cornerstone Genealogical Society is an organization dedicated to preserving the genealogical history of Greene County, Pennsylvania.
Description:

Cornerstone Genealogical Society is housed in Greene County’s first courthouse. The log structure was built around 1800 and the Genealogical Society has resided in the building since 1975.

The non-profit is dedicated to preserving the history of Greene County and areas around the county. They have records of obituaries, wills, funeral homes, and Greene County park records.

Cornerstone Genealogical Society will assist you in finding the history of your ancestors who lived in or around Greene County.

 

DIRECTIONS:
Use 1-79 Exit 14 and keep right at the fork following signs for Waynesburg PA-21 West. Use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto East High Street. Turn left onto N. Morgan Street, turn left onto Greene Street. Shortly after the Fire Department, turn right onto N. Woods and the destination will be on the right.

Phone Number: 724-627-5653
Address: 144 East Greene Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370
Description:

A log structure built by George Graham and George Ullom for Sheriff James Hook in 1797, a year after Greene County was created in 1796. It was used as the county’s seat of government until about 1800 when a brick courthouse was built on High Street.

It is believed to be the oldest log courthouse on its original lot in Pennsylvania and possibly in the whole country.

The building now houses the Cornerstone Genealogical Society and their library.

Phone Number: 724-627-5653
Address: 144 East Greene Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370
Brief Summary: Consisting of a stone section built c. 1790 as an Episcopal church and a brick section constructed in 1810, Greene Academy became the first school of higher learning west of the Allegheny Mountains. More than 850 children attended the Academy until it closed the doors in 1893. Among the many graduates of Greene Academy are notably A.B. Miller, Albert B. Cummins and Thomas S. Crago. Greene Academy holds free classes in painting, scrapbooking, crafting and more.
Description:

Greene Academy of Art is housed in the first school of higher learning west of the Allegheny Mountains. The academy was open from 1790 to 1893. The building was restored in the 1970’s and then it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Many Greene County Greats attended the academy. Albert B. Cummins a politician who was an Iowa Governor and a United states Senate member representing Iowa. A.B. Miller was one of the first graduates of Waynesburg College and president of the college from 1859-1899.

The academy holds various events throughout the year. They have free art classes that include painting, scrap-booking, crafting and more. They also hold craft shows and other bigger events throughout the year.

Tours of the academy can be scheduled by calling (724)966-2731. You can also visit during the special events.

Directions:

From Carmichaels town square exit the traffic circle toward N. Market Street and the destination will be on your right in .2 miles. (Pass the Carmichaels post office)

Phone Number: 724-966-2731
Address: 314 North Market Street, Carmichaels, PA 15320
Brief Summary: The Greene Connections is a Greene County, Pennsylvania online archives project which features historic photographs and documents shared by private families and local repositories.
Description:

Greene Connections is a free, volunteer-operated online project aimed at increasing access to rare photographs and documents from Greene County, Pennsylvania. Over 10,000 items have been catalogued and the que of items waiting to be processed contains at least 2,000 more and is growing. The archives have been shared by families, individuals, and local repositories such as the Cornerstone Genealogical Society, Greene County Historical Society, and Waynesburg University Paul R. Stewart Museum.

Website Address: www.GreeneConnections.com
Phone Number: 724-998-0650
Address:
Mail: 645 N Morris Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370
Brief Summary: A historic 52 room museum that celebrates not only the history of the Poor Farm it once was, but all things Greene County including the Waynesburg and Washington Railroad. Yes, we have a train!
Description:

The Greene County Historical Society Museum is located on 17 acres just outside of Waynesburg, Pennsylvania. Our main building is a 52 room structure, initially built as a family home in 1857 and was converted into the County Poor Farm (or Almshouse) during the Civil War. Our exhibits include rooms showing what life was like for those that lived in the Poor Farm, as well as period Georgian and Victorian Rooms that illustrate what life was like throughout the 19th Century. We also feature a large Native American Collection that educates visitors on over 10,000 years of regional history and the first Americans.

The Greene County Historical Society Museum also has a large Agricultural Barn that is available for rentals, as well as a complete and operational 10th century print shop, and several cabins. The steam locomotive, Second Number 4, is in the train shed and once serviced the Waynesburg and Washington Railroad.

Annual events include Harvest Festival, Stone to Steel: Native American Heritage Weekend, Christmas Open House, and more. There is a monthly lecture series open to the public that covers a variety of local history aspects such as Native American life, haunted history, pioneer history and more.

For the current hours of operation, please visit: www.greenecountyhistory.org. Admission to GCHS is $7 for adults, children (6-12) and seniors (60+) $5, and children under 6 and members are free.

 

Directions:
From Exit 14 turn left on to PA-21 East for 1.1 miles. Turn right onto Curry Road and follow that for .6 miles. Turn right onto Rolling Meadows Road and you have reached GCHS.

Phone Number: 724-627-3204
Address: 918 Rolling Meadows Road, Waynesburg, PA 15370
Brief Summary: Created to protect, enhance and support projects pertaining to aspects of the history of Greene County, Pennsylvania.
Description:

Greene County Legacy Association is here to protect, enhance and support projects that are about Greene County History. The main projects that they have worked on are the Rain Day Boys and the WW I memorial.

The Rain Day Boys are 18 Greene County soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice during WW I. On July 28-29, 1918 the Rain Day Boys were in the French countryside near Germany. They went in to relieve a French regiment in German Territory.  During the early hours of the morning was when the assault started and they were met with the Germans. Only a couple hours had passed when 17 of the boys were dead or wounded. The Rain Day Boys are remembered yearly at the Rain Day Festival that happens in Greene County.

The WW I memorial is located near the Greene County Historical Museum and behind the Greene County tennis courts. This memorial honors the 58 Greene County soldiers who lost their life during WW I.

These two projects tell the stories of Greene County. To learn more about both projects visit raindayboys.com for more information.

Directions:

From Exit 14 turn left on to PA-21 East for 1.1 miles. Turn right onto Curry Road and follow that for .6 miles. Turn right onto Rolling Meadows Road and you have reached your destination.

 

Website Address: www.raindayboys.com
Phone Number: 412-559-0537
Address: 119 North Morris Street
Waynesburg, PA 15370
Haunted Hills & Hollows: What Lurks In Greene County Pennsylvania
Brief Summary: The book “Haunted Hills and Hollows” is the first ever in depth look at the supernatural underbelly of Greene County, Pennsylvania. An Amazon best seller, it has circumnavigated the globe with readers in 18 countries.
Description:

The Most Haunted County in America

The far southwest corner of Pennsylvania looks on the surface to be a pleasant rolling, river-cut landscape carpeted with vegetation and trees. But underneath is a bloody history and a supernatural reality brimming with ghosts, aliens, unknown creatures – and things that can change a person’s life forever.

Kevin Paul, a native of Greene County, and paranormal researcher Rosemary Ellen Guiley take you deep into Greene County’s dark and unexplored corners to uncover a twilight world that exists alongside of us, waiting for us to be in the right place at the right time to make itself known. Here are true stories of drifting ghosts, strange alien beings and their sky craft, Bigfoot, dogmen, Lizard Man, black “blobs,” winged humanoids, spirits of the land, mysterious black-eyed people and more, all of whom roam the suburbs and wilds of Greene County.

“A spine chilling journey through Pennsylvania’s Greene County. From haunted locations and ghostly apparitions to encounters with UFOs, Bigfoot and other bizarre creatures, it’s a real page turner full of mysterious paranormal accounts.” – Stan Gordon UFO-Bigfoot researcher and author.

“I have been out in the field investigating with Kevin Paul and Rosemary Ellen Guiley and have seen for myself the weird and unexplained phenomena that exist here.” – John Zaffis, star of Haunted Collector and co-author of Demon Haunted: True Stories from the John Zaffis Vault.

Website Address: Purchase on Amazon
Phone Number: 724-255-0464
Address: Mail Only:
557 Ross Street
Waynesburg, PA 15370
Brief Summary: Organizes the annual Pennsylvania Bituminous Coal Festival to focus attention on the area’s culture and history in the coal industry.
Description:

The King Coal Association was formed in 1953. They formed to remember the history of mining in Southwestern Pennsylvania. They are a nonprofit and benefit three local organizations, Carmichaels Chamber of Commerce, Carmichaels-Cumberland Twp. volunteer fire company, and they help those in-need in the area.

The King Coal Association puts on the King Coal Show every year in August. The week-long event holds different events throughout the week, like a 5K race, the State Bituminous Coal Queen Pageant, a carnival, a car, motorcycle, and tractor show and different types of parades throughout the week.

Other coal show events are the annual golf outing that is held at Carmichaels Golf Club. Exhibits that share the rich mining history of Greene County. The Eastern Mining Collector’s show, where collectors show their collections of mining history.

The King Coal Show is about celebrating heritage, community, family, and the legacy of the Southwestern Pennsylvania coal mining industry.

 

 

Website Address: www.kingcoalshow.com
Phone Number: 724-966-5426
Address: Mail: 868 South Eighty Eight Road, Carmichaels, PA 15320
Brief Summary: Mason-Dixon Park was established in the 1970s, the 295-acres of meadow and woodland stretch across the state line to commemorate the great achievement of Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon. The park features hiking trails, ball field, cabins, pavilions and a playground.
Description:

Mason-Dixon Historical Park was founded in the 1970s. The park includes many different attractions, from basketball courts and baseball fields, four shelters to rent, an amphitheater for live shows, six hiking trails and one mountain bike trail.

Dunkard Creek is a great fishing destination for all skill levels. The creek winds through both PA and WV. The other water feature you can see on this hike is Tucker Falls and it is named after Dr. Eldon P. Tucker founder of the park.

Each trail has a unique view for the hiker to experience. On the Mason-Dixon Marker Trail see the original stone that was placed by Mason and Dixon. Then, on the West Side and Blue Trail see the beautiful West Virginia sunset.

All these trails show some amazing views and some amazing history all in one park. Join us at Mason-Dixon Historical Park for all the fun.

Parking is available at the park. The park is open from 8:00 a.m. to dusk. There are public restrooms at the park.

Directions:

Take exit 1 toward Mt Morris/US-19 S, turn right onto Locust Ave, drive 0.5 miles, slight right onto T329/Wades Run Rd. go 308 ft., turn left onto Buckeye Rd., drive 3.5 miles, turn right, destination will be on the left.

Phone Number: 304-879-4101
Address: 79 Buckeye Road
Core, WV 26541