Consisting of a stone section built c. 1790 as an Episcopal church and a brick section constructed in 1810, Greene Academy became the first school of higher learning west of the Allegheny Mountains. More than 850 children attended the Academy until it closed the doors in 1893. Among the many graduates of Greene Academy are notably A.B. Miller, Albert B. Cummins and Thomas S. Crago.
Greene Academy holds free classes in painting, scrapbooking, crafting and more.